Another post that’s late!
This week’s Top Ten Tuesday, hosted by The Broke and The Bookish, is a freebie – so I can choose any topic that has been done and I haven’t attempted before. Woohoo! After spending a few minutes with the list on The Broke and the Bookish blog, I chose “The Top Ten Books I Can’t Believe I’ve never Read”. So, here goes my list of books that I have known, existed, but have either never really felt motivated to read or have started at some point in my life and have not finished yet (though I plan to):
- The Harry Potter Series by JK Rowling: Well, what can I say about why I haven’t read this? I don’t really have any excuse for it, except the fact that as a kid I was not really fascinated by magic and the works. And by the time this changed and I was solely interested in books that dealt with fantasy, I got my hands on The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien and I could not bear to read another grand fantasy like The Harry Potter and (possibly) risk having it replace the trilogy, in my heart. That said, I am really hoping to change that and read the series sometime this year. *fingers crossed*
- The Little Prince by Antoine De Saint-Exupéry: This book has the privilege of being one of the most translated works of fiction (from French). It narrates the story of an encounter between a pilot and a boy who comes to earth on an asteroid and encounters peculiar characters. Unlike The Harry Potter Series, this book has been on my to-be-read list only since the past 5 years or so. But after having found out about it, I wish I had read it when I was a child.
- Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts: If there ever was a book that I started reading and stopped reading more than once (actually, there are a few), this would top that list. I have lost track of the number of times I have started reading it. And as you would have guessed, I have not really successful at all. Well, that’s because every time I pick up the book, I am intimidated by its size. That’s not really nice, I know. But I will finish it. Yes, I will. Someday.
- Under the Dome by Stephen King: This is yet another of books on my TBR list. Again, its sheer size has scared me. But over and over again, I have been reading reviews that give it a thumbs-up. And that’s really encouraging. Under the Dome is a story about a town that gets caught under a dome that shows up out of nowhere with no warning. Life takes a turn – for better or for worse – under the dome. And Stephen King gives a full-blown narration of it.
- The War of the Worlds by HG Wells: One of the first modern-day renditions of an alien invasion on earth, has been on my list of books to read for the longest time. Yes, even before The War of the Worlds movie was released. I have a soft spot for books on alien invasion, even though I might have sleepless nights even with the lights on and my husband wide awake by my side. It will still be worth it, I’m sure.
While this is a Top Ten post, my list currently has just five books that I can confidently say that I cannot believe I have not read/finished as yet. And these are books that I am now excited to read and finish as soon as possible! Which books do you feel deserve to be read but you haven’t really got around to reading? Let me know in the comments below!